Alumni Excursions - Current Offerings
Did you ever wish you could travel the globe with some of our current Wake Forest students? Visit the Taj Mahal and see the Great Wall of China on the same trip? Sleep in a maharajah palace in Jaipur, India, and visit the Forbidden City in Beijing? Ride rickshaws through Old Delhi and stand at a crossroads of history in Tiananmen Square? Now, as a Wake Forest graduate business alumnus, you can do all of these things and more. Simply join us as a team of Wake Forest MBA students and Wake alumni participate together for the first time in our May 2018 Alumni-Student Asia Global Immersion, with travel to India and China!
For two weeks in May (May 5 through May 19, 2018), a team of 20 MBA students, plus a select number of alumni, will transit the globe, immersing ourselves in the sights of sounds of Asia as we visit the two most populated countries of the world: China (1.4B) and India (1.3B).
Our first week will be spent in India, visiting Delhi, the capital, where we will experience a combination of Hindu and Islamic cultures, witness the impact of the British Raj, visit with global corporations, and participate in our 3rd annual Wake Forest – BIMTECH international case competition, sponsored by IBM Corporation. Then it’s on to Jaipur and Agra to experience life under the maharajahs and Mughal emperors. We will complete the week with a trip highlight, a visit to the Taj Mahal.
Beginning Week 2 we will depart India and fly over the Himalayas to Shanghai, financial capital of China. With visits to global corporations, the Bund district, Pudong and the Shanghai Tower, we will experience a combination of new and old China. Then it’s on to Beijing, traveling via bullet train for our stay in the Chinese capital. With business, government, and cultural visits, we will see such places as Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. We will end our time with another highlight of the trip, a visit to the Great Wall of China.
Key Dates and Other Information:
- Alumni enrollment deadlines: January 15, 2018 (non-refundable $700 deposit due); March 15 ($3,250 trip balance due).
- Program fee: $3,950; includes double-occupancy hotel accommodations in both India and China (single-room fee extra), in-country transportation, tickets for cultural sites, and some meals. Participants are responsible for international airfare (est. $1,500 economy class), passport and visas, meals not covered by the itinerary (est. $300), and personal expenses.
- Travel dates: Saturday, May 5 through Saturday, May 19, 2018
- Interest form: Please complete the interest form, which includes uploading a current resume and photo. Alumni spaces will be filled based on submission date.
For more information, please contact Professor Roger Beahm (email@example.com).
A business degree is about more than spreadsheets and cash flow analysis.
Since the fall of 2006, the Wake Forest School of Business has partnered with small businesses in Nicaragua to find new ways to optimize their value through business skills seminars. Led by students, the business skills seminars include modules on operations, organizational behavior, marketing, and finance.
Based in Managua, the Latin America Global Immersion Course provides the opportunity for students and alumni to travel throughout the city and to neighboring towns to witness the various ways in which business is conducted, and to gain a deeper understanding of the impact of history, culture, and government in a developing economic system.
In preparation for the in-country experience, students and alumni will dedicate preparation time to developing skills required to conduct effective needs assessments, facilitate participant learning, and guide businesses through the application of key business concepts in a cross-cultural context.
The learning exchange between students, alumni and Nicaraguan entrepreneurs is a meaningful and perspective-changing experience, and the knowledge gained is directly applicable to participants’ careers.
Key Dates and Other Information
- Alumni enrollment deadline: January 1 (non-refundable $700 deposit due); February 1 ($1,150 trip balance due)
- Course fee: $1850 (includes: accommodations while abroad, in-country transportation, guides/ translators, some touring/tickets to cultural and historical visits, and in-country health insurance. The cost of international airfare, visas and/or passports, meals other than those included in the trip itinerary, entertainment, and independent activities that are not part of the trip are not included in the program cost. Hotel rooms are priced for double occupancy; there is an additional $400 charge for single room requests.)
- Class sessions: All participants are required to attend two class sessions: January 21, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. in Charlotte; February 18, 1:00 – 5:00 p.m. in Winston-Salem.
- Travel dates: Saturday, March 3, through Sunday, March 11, 2018
- Interest form: Please complete the interest form. Alumni spaces will be filled based on submission date.
For more information, please contact Dr. Amy Wallis (firstname.lastname@example.org).